Saturday, July 02, 2005

Quaker History/Church-State

High Court again grapples with church

News & Observer/Raleigh/NC/USA/28-Jun-05

San Jose Mercury News/San Jose/CA/USA/28-Jun-05

Sarasota Herald-Tribune/Sarasota/FL/USA/28-Jun-05

Houston Chronicle/Houston/TX/USA/28-Jun-05

Town Hall/Washington/DC/USA/28-Jun-05

Washington Post/Washington/DC/USA/28-Jun-05

Indianapolis Star/Indianapolis/IN/USA/28-Jun-05

Pittsburgh Tribune-Review/Pittsburgh/PA/USA/28-Jun-05

The Union Leader/Hanover/NH/USA/28-Jun-05

The State/Charleston/SC/USA/29-Jun-05

Canton Repository/Canton/OH/USA/29-Jun-05

Charlotte Observer/Charlotte/NC/USA/29-Jun-05

Bothell Herald/Bothell/WA/USA/29-Jun-05

Seattle Post Intelligencer/Seattle/WA/USA/29-Jun-05

Whittier Daily News/Whittier/CA/USA/30-Jun-05

Pasadena Star-News/Pasadena/CA/USA/30-Jun-05

Helena Independent Record/Helena/MT/USA/1-Jul-05

Fort Worth Star Telegram/Fort Worth/TX/USA/1-Jul-05

Adrian Daily Telegram/Adrian/MI/USA/1-Jul-05

On the Fourth of July, 1801, a reverend took up a collection on the House floor to support services he conducted at a nearby hotel. Jefferson contributed $25 to the cause. The speaker’s chair served as a pulpit for Anglican, Presbyterian, Methodist and Quaker clergy. In 1813, a Massachusetts congressman reported that “two very Christian discourses” were “preached in the hall introductory to a contribution for the purpose of spreading a knowledge of the gospel in Asia.” Services were conducted in the old House, now Statuary Hall, until 1857.


Post a Comment

<< Home